It is my sincere hope that our Society can continue to provide interesting and relevant information regarding our heritage. We hope that you will find this information useful and will decide to join our society and be a part of a great organization.
On behalf of our Clan Chief, Robin Neill Lochnell Malcolm, I would like to welcome you to the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society of North America Inc. website. It is with great honor that I have been selected to represent the Clan in North America. My Scottish heritage runs deep within our family and I am very proud to be able to share my heritage and traditions with all visitors to our site.
James McCallum, President
2013 Annual General Meeting (AGM): Following are the Minutes of the 2013 Annual General Meeting of the Clan Society held at the Stone Mountain Highland Games, GA on Saturday, October 19, 2013:
1. Call to Order by President, James McCallum. 15 members in attendance.
2. Moved and seconded to waive reading of the Minutes from the 2012 AGM and accept them as posted on the website. Motion carried.
3. The Treasurer’s Report was read by Fred McCallum. Highlights:
Cash on hand Sep. 30, 2013: $4,137.69; Sep. 30, 2012: $5,379.89
Membership Sep. 30, 2013: 188; Sep. 30, 2012: 201
Dues collections $2,760 through Sep. 30, 2013 vs. $4,000 budget for the year
Spending $4,243 through Sep. 30, 2013 vs. $6,800 budget for the year. Actual expense this year through Sep. was $1,792.80 to NEXT IT for the development of the website. This figure is included in the expenses to date. The budget for this year was $2,700 for the website development and hosting.
4. James McCallum commented on the importance of dues collections to the Society’s financial health since these are the primary source of income for paying expenses for the various Highland Games we participate in and for publishing the Argent Castle.
5. Neil McCallum discussed the status of the DNA Project that we participate in. This continues to expand, and we still need many new members. This project also correlates with the Family History project.
6. The new clan website was discussed by James and Neil. We have received many favorable comments on this from the members and visits to the website continue to increase. We are looking for someone in the Society with WordPress knowledge to assist Neil and Fred with website updates and maintenance. We have had approximately 6 new members based solely on the website.
7. There was no Unfinished Business to discuss.
8. Election of Officer: Jennifer McCallum Goudreault was unanimously elected Vice President of the clan society, to fill the interim term of Neil McCallum. This is effective immediately.
9. New Business: In accordance with Article 10 of the Society Bylaws, the Board recommended that annual dues be increased to $25 effective Jan. 1, 2014. This was unanimously approved by the membership.
10. Shirley Carrier, our Argent Castle Editor, was presented with a Malcolm sash as a gift from the Society in appreciation of her many years of hard work in editing, coordinating, and producing the AC 4 times a year. Thank you Shirley!
11. A motion was made and seconded to adjourn. Unanimously approved.
Fred B. McCallum, Jr
October 28, 2013
Purpose of our Clan Society: Clan MacCallum Malcolm has a rich history in America since its establishment by Andrew McCallum at Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in 1971. With its roots in the Carolinas, interest grew and we now have members across the country and Canada. The goal of this society is best stated within our Incorporation papers, that is:
Objectives of this nonprofit Society shall be:
a. to promote the preservation and study of Scottish history, culture and heritage;
b. the acquisition, compilation, preservation and distribution of information of historical, cultural and genealogical interest to those of the surname, MacCallum, McCallum, McCollum, Malcolm and its families, regardless of spelling;
c. to provide for the public a forum for discussion groups, lectures, musical programs, entertainment and instruction on our Scottish Cultural Heritage;
d. to cooperate with other Scottish Clan and Celtic organizations that have like interests;
e. to disseminate information of an advisory and educational nature which will be of value to its members and the general public.
Where can you find us? Through the volunteer efforts of many conveners, we are represented at Highland Games across the East and the Midwest. We hope to have representation on the West Coast…Are you interested in helping? Please see the link to our Calendar of Events.
Scottish Liaisons: We are very fortunate to have a number of members in Scotland that have agreed to assist in providing relevant information to our leadership and our Newsletter, The Argent Castle
Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society of Australia and New Zealand. Over the years, MacCallum and Malcolms have traveled far and wide. Our Sister Society in Australia and New Zealand is very active and we share information concerning our common history and heritage.
Website: This website has been established to communicate with the public with regard to our stated purpose. Please contact the webmaster with regard to any comments or corrections that may be required. Many thanks to Doug McCallum, Neil McCallum, Fred McCallum Jr., & Shirley Carrier for their efforts in assisting with the development of this website.
History of the Society: Andrew Burton McCallum founded the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society in 1971 with the guidance and approval of Lt. Colonel George Malcolm of Poltalloch, the 18th Chief of the name MacCallum and Malcolm.
Not for Profit Corporation: In 2010, our Society became incorporated in the State of Florida and obtained “not for profit” 501 (c) (3) status with the US Internal Revenue Service.