It is my sincere hope that our Society can continue to provide interesting and relevant information regarding our heritage. We hope that you will find this information useful and will decide to join our society and be a part of a great organization.
On behalf of our Clan Chief, Robin Neill Lochnell Malcolm, I would like to welcome you to the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society of North America Inc. website. It is with great honor that I have been selected to represent the Clan in North America. My Scottish heritage runs deep within our family and I am very proud to be able to share my heritage and traditions with all visitors to our site.
James McCallum, President
2014 Annual General Meeting (AGM): Following are the minutes of the AGM held at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games on July 12, 2014:
The 2014 Annual General Meeting
Clan MacCallum-Malcolm Society of North America, Inc.
Saturday, July 12, 2014, 2:00 PM
Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, North Carolina
- Call to order by President, James McCallum. 11 members in attendance.
- Moved and seconded to waive reading of the minutes from the 2013 AGM and accept them as posted on the website. Motion carried.
- The Treasurer’s report was read by Fred McCallum.
- Fred McCallum gave the 2014 Piping Scholarship update. We were only able to fund one student this year since the Gibson Fireside bagpipes did not sell at auction yet. Charlie Kehm of Clan Gunn continues to pursue this.
- Unfinished business: It was agreed to move towards electronic publication and email distribution of the Argent Castle newsletter to the extent possible. This would save the Society $1,200/year or more in printing and mailing expenses. Fred will start working on the process of how best to implement this soon.
- It was also decided to update the clan website with Argent Castle newsletters 6 months old and older. Fred will work with Neil McCallum on getting this done.
- There was no officer election at this meeting.
- There was no new business brought before the meeting.
- A motion was made and seconded to adjourn. Unanimously approved.
Fred B. McCallum, Jr.
July 18, 2014
Purpose of our Clan Society: Clan MacCallum Malcolm has a rich history in America since its establishment by Andrew McCallum at Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in 1971. With its roots in the Carolinas, interest grew and we now have members across the country and Canada. The goal of this society is best stated within our Incorporation papers, that is:
Objectives of this nonprofit Society shall be:
a. to promote the preservation and study of Scottish history, culture and heritage;
b. the acquisition, compilation, preservation and distribution of information of historical, cultural and genealogical interest to those of the surname, MacCallum, McCallum, McCollum, Malcolm and its families, regardless of spelling;
c. to provide for the public a forum for discussion groups, lectures, musical programs, entertainment and instruction on our Scottish Cultural Heritage;
d. to cooperate with other Scottish Clan and Celtic organizations that have like interests;
e. to disseminate information of an advisory and educational nature which will be of value to its members and the general public.
Where can you find us? Through the volunteer efforts of many conveners, we are represented at Highland Games across the East and the Midwest. We hope to have representation on the West Coast…Are you interested in helping? Please see the link to our Calendar of Events.
Scottish Liaisons: We are very fortunate to have a number of members in Scotland that have agreed to assist in providing relevant information to our leadership and our Newsletter, The Argent Castle
Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society of Australia and New Zealand. Over the years, MacCallum and Malcolms have traveled far and wide. Our Sister Society in Australia and New Zealand is very active and we share information concerning our common history and heritage.
Website: This website has been established to communicate with the public with regard to our stated purpose. Please contact the webmaster with regard to any comments or corrections that may be required. Many thanks to Doug McCallum, Neil McCallum, Fred McCallum Jr., & Shirley Carrier for their efforts in assisting with the development of this website.
History of the Society: Andrew Burton McCallum founded the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society in 1971 with the guidance and approval of Lt. Colonel George Malcolm of Poltalloch, the 18th Chief of the name MacCallum and Malcolm.
Not for Profit Corporation: In 2010, our Society became incorporated in the State of Florida and obtained “not for profit” 501 (c) (3) status with the US Internal Revenue Service.