It is my sincere hope that our Society can continue to provide interesting and relevant information regarding our heritage. We hope that you will find this information useful and will decide to join our society and be a part of a great organization.
On behalf of our Clan Chief, Robin Neill Lochnell Malcolm, I would like to welcome you to the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society of North America Inc. website. It is with great honor that I have been selected to represent the Clan in North America. My Scottish heritage runs deep within our family and I am very proud to be able to share my heritage and traditions with all visitors to our site.
Fred McCallum Jr., President
The 2015 Annual General Meeting
Clan MacCallum-Malcolm Society of North America, Inc.
Saturday, September 5, 2015, 2:00PM
Virginia Scottish Games and Festival
Great Meadow, The Plains, VA
- Call to order by President James McCallum. 8 members in attendance.
- Moved and seconded to waive reading of 2014 AGM minutes and accept them as posted on the website. Motion carried.
- The Treasurer’s Report was given by Fred McCallum. Highlights:
- Cash on hand 7/31/15: $4,082.87
- Membership 7/31/15: 207; 7/31/14: 225
- Dues collections $2.919 through 7/31/15 vs. $4,500 budget for the year
- Spending $3,407.03 through 7/31/15 vs. $4,064.25 budget for the year. This included $625 to sponsor one piping student at the NAAPD in July.
- 18 new members through 7/31/15
- Fred McCallum read the Genealogy/DNA and Family History Report from Neil McCallum.
- Unfinished Business:
- The Clan Society Order of Merit was awarded to Neil McCallum by James McCallum for his many contributions to the Clan Society, including serving as VP, President, Family History Coordinator, Genealogist, and now Secretary/Treasurer. The name of this award is being changed to “Order of the Rowan Tree”. Our Chief, Robin Malcolm, had asked that the name be changed so that it is not almost the same as a very prestigious national award in the UK. James also announced that the first recipient of the Order of the Rowan Tree will be Jon McCollum of Minnesota for his past service to the Clan Society.
- Election of Officers: New Officers for the Clan Society were unanimously ratified as:
Fred McCallum as President
Garnett McCallum as Vice President
Neil McCallum as Secretary/Treasurer
These officers will serve for a 3 year term.
James explained that Jennifer McCallum, former VP, withdrew her name from consideration for personal reasons.
- No new business was brought before the meeting.
- Moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. Motion carried.
Fred B. McCallum, Jr.
September 8, 2015
Purpose of our Clan Society: Clan MacCallum Malcolm has a rich history in America since its establishment by Andrew McCallum at Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in 1971. With its roots in the Carolinas, interest grew and we now have members across the country and Canada. The goal of this society is best stated within our Incorporation papers, that is:
Objectives of this nonprofit Society shall be:
a. to promote the preservation and study of Scottish history, culture and heritage;
b. the acquisition, compilation, preservation and distribution of information of historical, cultural and genealogical interest to those of the surname, MacCallum, McCallum, McCollum, Malcolm and its families, regardless of spelling;
c. to provide for the public a forum for discussion groups, lectures, musical programs, entertainment and instruction on our Scottish Cultural Heritage;
d. to cooperate with other Scottish Clan and Celtic organizations that have like interests;
e. to disseminate information of an advisory and educational nature which will be of value to its members and the general public.
Where can you find us? Through the volunteer efforts of many conveners, we are represented at Highland Games across the East and the Midwest. We hope to have representation on the West Coast…Are you interested in helping? Please see the link to our Calendar of Events.
Scottish Liaisons: We are very fortunate to have a number of members in Scotland that have agreed to assist in providing relevant information to our leadership and our Newsletter, The Argent Castle
Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society of Australia and New Zealand. Over the years, MacCallum and Malcolms have traveled far and wide. Our Sister Society in Australia and New Zealand is very active and we share information concerning our common history and heritage.
Website: This website has been established to communicate with the public with regard to our stated purpose. Please contact the webmaster with regard to any comments or corrections that may be required. Many thanks to Doug McCallum, Neil McCallum, Fred McCallum Jr., & Shirley Carrier for their efforts in assisting with the development of this website.
History of the Society: Andrew Burton McCallum founded the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society in 1971 with the guidance and approval of Lt. Colonel George Malcolm of Poltalloch, the 18th Chief of the name MacCallum and Malcolm.
Not for Profit Corporation: In 2010, our Society became incorporated in the State of Florida and obtained “not for profit” 501 (c) (3) status with the US Internal Revenue Service.