It is my sincere hope that our Society can continue to provide interesting and relevant information regarding our heritage. We hope that you will find this information useful and will decide to join our society and be a part of a great organization.
On behalf of our Clan Chief, Robin Neill Lochnell Malcolm, I would like to welcome you to the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society of North America Inc. website. It is with great honor that I have been selected to represent the Clan in North America. My Scottish heritage runs deep within our family and I am very proud to be able to share my heritage and traditions with all visitors to our site.
Tara McCallum, President
MINUTES OF THE 2020 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM)
18 July 2020, 3:00 PM EDT. Conference Call due to COVID -19 Safer at Home Orders
1. Meeting was called to order by President Fred McCallum at 3:05 with a quorum present
2. Invocation: Jon McCollum – Minnesota
3. Roll Call – 20 members signed onto the call
4. Reading of previous AGM Minutes – Posted on Website – Neil McCallum moved that the 2019 AGM minutes be waived as they are posted on the website; the motion was seconded; and the motion was approved.
5. Secretary Treasurers Report – Neil McCallum
Treasurers Report (as of 1 July 2020): Cash on hand: $7577.09. This value is an increase for the Society over previous year as membership has increased. Our largest expenditure is the publishing and distribution of the Argent Castle. Given the cancelation of the majority of the games, we have adjusted our budget priorities to “Secure/platform update” our website and send out the booklets to each active member.
Active members: 224. This is a decrease over last year. The lack of Games/exposure has not helped our membership numbers.
Annual Dues: $25.00. Remains unchanged from previous years.
PayPal invoicing/payments continues to be very successful. Each month, PayPal invoices are sent out for memberships coming due in the next month. About 75% of our invoices are paid through PayPal.
Scholarship: Balance on hand: $725.34. No scholarships were awarded this year due to the current uncertainties.
Amazon Smile: Amazon Foundation supports charitable organizations. When you order through Amazon “Smile”, contributions are made to our Society. Since the last AGM, we have received $39.39 through this program and it has been credited to the DNA Project fund ($210.36 balance).
6. Committee Reports
Clan Store (Lands’ End): Society members have enjoyed quality products from Lands’ End, Land’s End provides wonderful products with our embroidered crest. Our Society does not make any money from the sales.
Family History/Genealogy: Each month we receive 3 to 4 inquiries regarding family ancestry. Most inquiries come through our website. Pete McCollum maintains access to the Database and all inquiries are run through him.
DNA Project: Our Project is through Family Tree DNA (261 total members). The most conclusive ancestry test (Male) is the Y Test, (180 Members). Maternal Ancestor Information (114 total members), Family Finder tracks both sides of the family (85 total members). When there is a close match, I encourage participants to join our Society.
Website: Due to recent search engine platform changes, a “secure” website was required to be viewed. We worked with our website host and was able to update it to a “https” site (secure) and have updates performed. The cost was minimal, and the site is fully compliant with security protocols.
7. Unfinished Business: Fred McCallum spoke of the pandemic and how with the exception of the games early in the year, all other games have been canceled. We are looking forward to next year!
8. Election of Officers: Nominating Committee slate of Officers of Tara McCallum, President; Fred McCallum Jr., Vice President: Neil D. McCallum Secretary Treasurer was presented. Brown McCallum moved to accept the slate; Motion seconded. The motion was unanimously approved by members in a voice vote.
9. New Business: Fred McCallum addressed the preparation of the booklets and acknowledged the efforts of Doug McCallum, Diana Neff, and Jess McCallum along with Shirley Carrier, Tara McCallum, Neil McCallum, and Fred McCallum. Chief Robin Malcolm eagerly endorsed the effort. When games get started again, copies of the books will be sent to the conveners so that they may be given to new members. Several members indicated an interest in acquiring extra copies – contact Neil McCallum. Neil McCallum thanked Brown and Righton McCallum for their monetary contribution to the effort.
Fred McCallum indicated that next year will be the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Clan Society by his Uncle Andrew B. McCallumin 1971. We will celebrate this fact at the AGM at Grandfather Mountain Highland Games the weekend of 10 July 2021. We hope to be one of the Honored Clans.
10. Comment from the members
Don Malcolm sent to Neil McCallum copies of old Argent Castles. Neil McCallum hopes to get scanned and posted to the website search engine (Resources Page).
Don Malcolm thanked Neil McCallum for all of his efforts on behalf of the Society.
Kimberly Softich – Washington, indicated that she has enjoyed being part our Society
Shirley Carrier, Argent Castle Editor, efforts were acknowledged.
11. Remarks from Fred McCallum – He has enjoyed being the President and representing the Society for the past 5 years and looks forward to assisting Tara in any way possible.
12. Remarks from our New President Tara McCallum: She thanked everyone for the honor of being elected and to serve as the Society’s president. She encouraged members to reach out to non-members to join; she encouraged all to volunteer at highland games or serve on a Society committee. She concluded her remarks wishing all good health.
Meeting adjourned at 3:31 PMEDT.
Clan Store: Our Society has teamed with Lands’ End Business Outfitters to provide quality apparel with our name and clan crest. The cost of adding the embroidered crest logo is only $8.50. Delivery time is approximately 2 weeks. Please find a link to the website on the sidebar to the left. A very special “Thank you” goes out to Robert & Ruth De Clute as well as Brown & Righton McCallum for their support of the Clan Store.
Amazon Smile: “Amazon Smile” is a program established by Amazon to support not for profit organizations like us! By purchasing through Amazon Smile, 0.5% of the cost of eligible purchases is rebated to our Society. You shop on “Amazon Smile” just like you would on Amazon! Just go to the “Amazon Smile” link in the sidebar. You will be supporting your Society with every purchase. It does not cost you anything additional.
We thank Amazon for their generosity in supporting our Clan Society Activities.
Purpose of our Clan Society: Clan MacCallum Malcolm has a rich history in America since its establishment by Andrew McCallum at Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in 1971. With its roots in the Carolinas, interest grew and we now have members across the country and Canada. The goal of this society is best stated within our Incorporation papers, that is:
Objectives of this nonprofit Society shall be:
a. to promote the preservation and study of Scottish history, culture and heritage;
b. the acquisition, compilation, preservation and distribution of information of historical, cultural and genealogical interest to those of the surname, MacCallum, McCallum, McCollum, Malcolm and its families, regardless of spelling;
c. to provide for the public a forum for discussion groups, lectures, musical programs, entertainment and instruction on our Scottish Cultural Heritage;
d. to cooperate with other Scottish Clan and Celtic organizations that have like interests;
e. to disseminate information of an advisory and educational nature which will be of value to its members and the general public.
Where can you find us? Through the volunteer efforts of many conveners, we are represented at Highland Games across the East and the Midwest. We hope to have representation on the West Coast…Are you interested in helping? Please see the link to our Calendar of Events.
Scottish Liaisons: We are very fortunate to have a number of members in Scotland that have agreed to assist in providing relevant information to our leadership and our Newsletter, The Argent Castle
Clan MacCallum Malcolm Society of Australia and New Zealand. Over the years, MacCallum and Malcolms have traveled far and wide. Our Sister Society in Australia and New Zealand is very active and we share information concerning our common history and heritage.
Website: This website has been established to communicate with the public with regard to our stated purpose. Please contact the webmaster with regard to any comments or corrections that may be required. Many thanks to Doug McCallum, Neil McCallum, Fred McCallum Jr., & Shirley Carrier for their efforts in assisting with the development of this website.
History of the Society: Andrew Burton McCallum founded the Clan MacCallum/Malcolm Society in 1971 with the guidance and approval of Lt. Colonel George Malcolm of Poltalloch, the 18th Chief of the name MacCallum and Malcolm.
Not for Profit Corporation: In 2010, our Society became incorporated in the State of Florida and obtained “not for profit” 501 (c) (3) status with the US Internal Revenue Service.